Getting Started with RSM

Nov 22, 2011 at 6:20 PM

It would be nice to have a tutorial on how to set it up.

In my team there is already a .R#settings file created, but I had trouble loading it. I don't know how the Code Style Sharing settings in Resharper interacts with RSM. Is there an option required to have RSM work there?

After trial and error, here is what I've found

1. Open the solution you want to import the .R#setting file from
  2. You'll get an error dialog about RSM not being able to find the shared settings file (the file is right there with the same path! but we can't find it, YET)
  3. Go to Resharper-> Tools ->Manage Settings
  4. In this dialog, click on Shared Settings and in the Add dropdown menu click Solution Settings
  5. Check Store R# settings in external file, and look for the .R#Setting file that you want to import
  6. Click ok, and then select the Current Solution Settings item that has appeared, choose Load R# Settings
  7. That's it, you are using your team shared settings!

Could you confirm whether this the correct workflow?

Thanks, and great plugin!

Coordinator
Nov 23, 2011 at 3:17 AM

Hi Juanalumni,

Yes, you can do it this way, but it's not the way it should work. What does the error message say? And which version of RSM and R# are you using?

Nov 23, 2011 at 10:45 AM
Hi 4uxnbIx
I'm using R# 5.1.3 and the latest RSM. The error message is "couldn't find the shared settings file " or something like that. And the path matches the path to the file that actually exists!
How should it work?
Coordinator
Nov 24, 2011 at 9:27 AM

It shlould just load any shared settings files it can find without any prompts.

Hmm... i don't remember writing any messages like that. I guess RSM just failed to load the settings file for some reason.