Sharing Across Team

Apr 21, 2011 at 3:20 PM

The whole idea of RSM is good but I just need more information to get this working on our team, can somebody help out?

I've seen the documents of the new release of the ReSharper Settings Manager but it seems lacking to answer the HOW, unless I am just missing it out.

Does it require to install the ReSharper Settings Manager for every team member to get the capability of global sharing? Or it can be handled by TFS sharing and only one member will need RSM?

If you have multiple solutions and you want to have the same settings/configs, where is the ideal location for the .sharing file?

Thanks a lot!

Coordinator
Apr 21, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Hi!

Each team member should have RSM installed, because the settings file it produces cannot be located and loaded by ReSharper.

If you have multiple solutions, you'll need to create a 'Global' settings file and place it somewhere under your source control, so it was either at the same folder wth your solutions or at any parent folder. Each time an engineer will load one of your solutions RSM will first look at the solution folder and if there is no settings file it will start looking in parent folders.

Apr 25, 2011 at 1:49 PM

I think it would be nice to put it in the parent folder. Although the parent folder in our source control(TFS) is already the collection... and it does not allow to upload file in that folder. We have one folder for all the shared files that we use across all our solutions but when I tried doing that ReSharper does not allow that and it does not pick up the shared.R#Settings file automatically. What do you recommend in proceeding with this kind of scenario? 

Coordinator
Apr 25, 2011 at 1:58 PM

I would suggest creating Global Settings files in each accessible root source code folder, or only at folders containing solutions. Then you can configure each settings file to store R# settings in an external file (Settings File options Dialog\Store R# settings in an external file check-box) at the shared files folder.

Apr 25, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Ok. I'll do that.

Thanks a lot!

Apr 26, 2011 at 10:16 PM

It would be nice to just be able to specify the location and not create the Global Settings file in all the roots. If we were to do that we would end up creating over way too many settings files all in order to point back to a single file. Currently we get around this by pointing our personal directory at a common location that is controlled by TFS. This method continues to work fine for us.

May 9, 2011 at 9:51 PM
Edited May 9, 2011 at 9:52 PM
eborman wrote:

It would be nice to just be able to specify the location and not create the Global Settings file in all the roots. If we were to do that we would end up creating over way too many settings files all in order to point back to a single file. Currently we get around this by pointing our personal directory at a common location that is controlled by TFS. This method continues to work fine for us.

I definitely agree!

If you update something in each solution file... there are too many files that you need to remember to check-out and check-in.