Exception when closing solution

Jun 7, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Hi

We created a shared settings file in our solution root folder and added it to TFS to share it across the team.  We also setup the "Shared across team setting" in RSM.  Unfortunately, every time that somebody closes a solution it now complains that that the shared settings file is read-only.  I was under the impression that you should be able to share the settings file using Source Control.  Also, why does RSM try to update the settings file even if I didn't make any changes to it.

Thx

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Hi

RSM doesn't work with any Source Control systems, it just saves the settings on disk. The exception appears because RSM tries to update some parts of the settings file (not all settings), like abbreviations, spell check dictionaries and etc. Those settings can get changed by any developer, while working on the code, so I thought auto-updating those settings might be helpful. I can provide an option to disable auto-updates. What do you think?

Jun 7, 2010 at 9:16 AM

Adding the option would be great.  Our workflow is that only I am allowed to update these settings to ensure the consistency across the team.  I will typically explicitly opt to do this and will therefore check out the file before making any changes.  For all the other developers - they just get the latest version from source control and don't worry about change the settings at any point in time.

Thx

Coordinator
Jun 7, 2010 at 10:05 AM

Ok. I'll add that to my todo list for the next release.

Coordinator
Jul 22, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Done. Please update RSM